ProBoards Forum Features
Simple, fast, easy to use, and fun... these are words commonly used to describe ProBoards' free forum hosting service. Whether you're new to message boards or an experienced moderator, we invite you to review our features and start your new ProBoards forum today.
Creating a new forum takes less than 30 seconds and immediately after that you can begin inviting your friends and colleagues to browse your new forum and start discussing topics! If you have questions or need help, our Support Forum community is the best in the business. Join the over 16 million monthly visitors on the Internet's largest, most enjoyed free forum hosting service.
- Free — What else needs to be said?
- Easy to use — Our free forums are easy to use, set up, moderate, administrate, and customize.
- No Size Limit — With ProBoards, you can create as many categories, boards, members, threads, topics and posts as you like. There's no limit. We like busy forums!
- Customizable — Create a unique and wondrous place with the best customization tools of any free forum.
- Mobile App — Android or iPhone; Now members can stay connected when they're on-the-go. We're the only online free forum service supported by our own mobile app!
- Simple Admin Tools — With our super simple admin tools, managing a forum has never been easier! You'll like the clean organization of our easy to use admin area with clear language and a simple layout.
- YouTube Embedding — Now members can share their favorite YouTube clips and embed them directly into discussion posts.
- Upload Files — Share files with other forum members (music, pictures, documents, etc); Upload attachments directly into topic posts.
- Best 24/7 support — We're here to help 24/7 with our Getting Started Guide, our detailed Help Guide, and the best support community on the Internet.
- Remotely Hosted — No software, no installation, no downloads. We'll take care of the technical stuff for you. Just sign up and go!
- Unlimited Bandwidth — ProBoards doesn't place any limits on bandwidth usage for your community.
- Scalable — Whether your group is a dozen of your closest friends or millions of people, ProBoards free forums will scale to accommodate any size community!
- Top Moderation Tools — As forum moderating can often be a delicate job, ProBoards provides effective tools for moderators to discuss issues and render decisions beyond the view of other forum members.
- Premium Features — We offer additional premium forum options including the ability to use your own custom domain name, remove advertising from your forum, and the ability to change your forum URL.
Full Feature List
The features listed below provide a more complete inventory of ProBoards many user and administrative tools.
- Posting Preview — Before posting your message you can click "Preview" to see how your message will look before it is posted.
- Smilies — We offer a variety of image smileys that convert text such as :) into an image version of the smile.
- YouTube™ Embedding — Insert videos from YouTube into your posts using our [youtube]Video URL[/youtube] BBCode tag.
- Attachments — ProBoards forums come with 200MB of free attachment space!
- Polls — You can add a poll to topics you post that registered members can vote on.
- Message Icons — When creating a topic you can pick from a variety of icons to display next to your topic.
- Quick Reply — At the bottom of each topic you will find a Quick Reply box that allows you to reply to the topic without needing to navigate to a new page first.
- Quoting — When replying to a posted message, you can click "quote" to quote the message you are replying to.
- Multiple Poll Votes — Optionally you can allow members to vote for multiple choices in a poll.
- Vote Changing — Our poll system allows you to specify if votes can be retracted.
- Automatic Image Thumbnails — When posting an image attachment, a preview thumbnail is automatically added to your post.
- Flood Control — Our system automatically detects excessive quick posting and throttles the rate at which posts can be made.
- BBCode — The BBCode system allows you to stylize your posts adding color, images, and more.
- Formatting Toolbar — We provide an easy to use toolbar for inserting BBCode tags into your posts.
- Merge Topics — Using our Move Posts feature you can take all the posts from one topic and merge them into another existing topic.
- Move Posts — You can take one (or more) posts from a topic and move them to a new topic or an existing topic.
- Announcement Topics — Announcements are topics that are displayed at the top of every board in your forum.
- Per-Board Moderation — We offer a fully functional "Report to Moderator" system for posts.
- Lock Topics — Locking a topic prevents further posting in it.
- Remove Topics — Removing a topic deletes it from your forum.
- Split Topics — Using our Move Posts feature you can split a topic from a particular point onwards and move it into a new topic.
- Post Editing — After making a post you can edit it to make any necessary changes.
- Moderator Toolbar — At the bottom of each topic, moderators will see a toolbar of various moderating options they have access to.
- Sticky Topics — Sticky Topics are topics that stay at the top of a board, usually used for posting rules or important announcements related to a particular board.
- Move Topics — Our Move Topics feature allows you to move a topic from one board to another quickly and easily.
- User Notes — Moderators can store notes about users in the user's profile.
- Moderators — Moderators are members of your forum that you assign special powers to, such as the ability to lock or delete topics.
- Sub-boards — A sub-board is a board inside of another board. Usually you create sub-boards to better organize discussions about a topic.
- Users Online — In the Info Center you will find a list of the users who are currently online at your forum.
- News Fader — You can optionally display your forum's news on your homepage through the News Fader feature.
- Forum Statistics — In your Info Center you can view information about the total number of topics, posts, and members.
- Active Topic Indication — Topics with a large number of replies gain a special icon indicating an active discussion.
- Birthday Notification — The bottom of your forum's homepage displays the birthdays for your forum.
- Topic Participation Listing — By clicking on the number of replies to a topic you can see who has participated in the topic.
- PM Multiple Recipients — You can send a personal message to multiple recipients by separating their names with a comma. e.g.: sally,tom
- Advanced Forum Search — Search all posts on your forum with advanced options from your forum's search page.
- Info Center — Your forum's homepage comes with an Info Center at the bottom displaying important information about your forum.
- Categories — Organize your forum's boards into different categories to make it easy to navigate.
- Calendar — You can optionally enable a calendar on your forum where you can add events.
- Recent Post Viewing — You can easily view the most recent posts on your forum by clicking the Recent Posts link in the Info Center.
- Forum Jump — At the bottom of your forum you will find a drop down that can help you quickly navigate to other boards on your forum.
- Bookmark Topics — You can bookmark topics for easy viewing later.
- Boards — Each board is a place where you can start discussions with other members.
- Password Protected Boards — Optionally each board can be password protected. Only visitors who know the password will be granted access to the board.
- Print Topics — Each topic has a "print" button at the top that takes you to a printer friendly version of the topic.
- Post Linking — Each post has a "Link to Post" link at the bottom. When clicked, will take the visitor directly to the post.
- New Topic Indication — Topics with postings you have not read will have a "new" icon next to them.
- Report Posts — Members of your forum can report posts to moderators using the "Report to Mod" link at the bottom of each post.
- Past 24 Hours Users — The Info Center displays the list of users who were active in the last 24 hours on your forum.
- Personal Message Notification — You can opt to receive an email or alert when a new message arrives for you.
- Personal Messaging — Registered members can send direct messages to other users on your forum.
- New Topics Viewing — At the top of each page there is a "New Topics" button which will take you to a listing of all the newest topics on your forum.
- Live Chat — We offer the option to add a live java chatroom to your forum, provided by addonChat.
- Social Sharing — You can easily share a topic with your friends using the "share" button at the top of each topic.
- Reserved Names — Prevent users from using certain names in their username or display name on your forum.
- User Group Management — Create and customize different user groups.
- Temporary Bans — Ban a member for a set amount of time by specifying a time length for a ban.
- Board Management — Create, modify, or delete boards from your forum's Administration Panel.
- Skins — Create different skins to give your forum different unique looks.
- Permanent Bans — You can ban members from your forum to prevent them from coming back.
- IP Banning — Ban visitors to your forum based on their IP address.
- Security Log — Our security log shows you a listing of important actions performed by your moderators and users.
- Custom Powers for Groups — Allocate different moderator powers to different user groups.
- Attachment Management — View and remove attachments from all posts in one place.
- User IP Logging — When posts are made by a user, their IP address is logged in the post.
- Category Management — Easily create, modify, or delete categories.
- Censored Words — Using our censored words system you can change one word into another on your forum.
- Warning System — To easily keep track of problem members you can increase their warning level.
- Maintenance Mode — Your forum can be placed into Maintenance Mode which prevents non-staff from accessing it. This is useful if you want to make many changes or restrict access to your forum.
- Email Banning — Ban registered members with a particular email address from accessing your forum.
- Ranks — Specify different ranks for members based on their post count. Ranks are displayed underneath the user's name.
- Custom Group Colors — Each user group can be set to a particular color.
- Member Search — Search members of your forum based on a variety of options including IP and email.
- Mass E-Mail — Send an email to all members of your forum.
- Username Banning — Ban a single user from your forum based on their username.
- Mass Personal Messaging — Quickly send a message to all the members of your forum.
- Forum Color Management — Easily change your forum colors.
- Forum Pruning — Remove old posts from your forum through our easy interface.
- Custom Images — Customize all of the images on your forum in one place.
- Domain Names — You can link your own domain name (such as your-name.com) to your forum for a yearly fee. Full details can be found in your forum's admin panel under Paid Features.
- Ad-Free — We offer a monthly ad-free service that removes all advertisements from your forum. Full details can be found in your forum's admin panel under Paid Features.
- Android Application — You can download the ProBoards App from the Android Marketplace. Great for browsing your forum on the go!
- iPhone Application — Download the ProBoards application on the App Store to visit and post on your forum using your mobile device.
- Forum URL Change — For a one time fee you can change your forum URL. Full details can be found in your forum's admin panel under Paid Features.
- Mini Profiles — Next to each post we display the poster's mini profile. This includes information such as their member group, rank, avatar, personal text and other information.
- Forum Avatars — Select from a pre-made avatar if you don't have your own.
- User Signatures — You can create your own custom signature that is displayed at the bottom of each post.
- Ranks — As you post on a forum your rank will increase. This gives you different titles and stars under your name.
- Display Names — Your display name is the name displayed next to your posts. You can customize this from the Modify Profile page on your forum.
- Bookmark Management — View and remove your bookmarks from an easy to manage screen.
- User Avatars — You can choose to display an image with your postings.
- Selectable Skins — If a forum offers multiple skins, you can switch between them to have a different look and feel to the forum.
- Member Listing — Registered users can view a list of all registered members on a forum.
- User Preferences — We offer you the ability to to customize your experience on our forums with various settings.
- Bookmark Notification — Optionally receive a personal message or email when one of your bookmarks has been updated.
- Most Recent Posts — On each user's profile you can easily view their most recent posts.
- User Groups — Users can be placed into different User Groups. User Groups are normally used for moderation purposes, as each group can be customized to allow for certain forum powers.
- Personal Text — Beneath your avatar you can display a short message.
- Optional Staff Verification — Allows for manual review of new accounts before they are granted full registration status on your forum.
- Age Confirmation — ProBoards users must be at least 13 years old.
- Email Verification — We verify that the email address a user registers with is valid by sending a confirmation code.
- CAPTCHA Visual Confirmation — All registrations require validation via CAPTCHA to ensure that bots are not creating accounts on your forum.